katethebookmonsters

Antigoddess
Kendare Blake
Crown of Midnight
Sarah J. Maas

The Hollow (Hollow Trilogy)

The Hollow (Hollow Trilogy) - Jessica Verday The Hollow was a very conflicting read for me. After reading numerous reviews, I went into this novel with a little trepidation. At first, I began to wonder where all the negative hype for this novel was coming from. It features an engrossing opening. The reader sees deep into Abbey's heart to where the pain lies. Her heart is an open, exposed wound. One that may never heal correctly. For me, her grief was not over the top, but not too shallow. However, after reading about this grief for over 100 pages, I needed more as a reader. I needed to see her character grow and overcome this tragedy.Verday's writing is very simplistic and easy to follow. This is great for younger readers, but older teens and adults may find it too juvenile. Verday has a wonderful way of painting her readers into a scene. The descriptions are lush and full. My only complaint is the awkwardness of some of her transitions. In a few instances, the reader will be fully absorbed in the story only to have it cut off and shift either to a later time or another scene all together without any explanation. This made for some confusion in the direction of the novel once or twice.While this novel is about loss, as reader, I want more than just to continuously hear about the loss. There is a point in the novel where it seemed that this could happen. Abbey hits the bottom, and even realizes that this is the bottom. She basically vows to overcome her sorrow. As a reader, I cheered. I wanted so much for something in the novel to be happy. Unfortunately, this recovery lasts only about 10 pages until Kristen's secret is revealed. Then it is right back to despair.In regards to the relationship of Abbey and Caspian, it was intriguing for maybe the first 50 pages. The other 400+ pages seem more like a back and forth with very little progress. In addition, I was very annoyed at their lack of chemistry. Honestly, I felt more chemistry between Ben (Abbey's friend) and Abbey in about 20 pages than the 400+ pages of Abbey and Caspian's interactions.It is easy to think of this novel in terms of a heartbeat. There are rises and falls. The rises are the few points at which the novel captures your attention. The falls are the pages and pages of Abbey's everyday life. While interesting to a point, they add little to this novel. As the novel progresses, the rises become further and further apart until the ending just flat-lines. Unfortunately, there is not a pretty bow on the novel's ending, it just kinda dies off.Am I looking forward to the next book in the series? Not really.Will I read it? MaybeTo be honest, I would love to see how things play out in this series. I think that Verday has a very interesting concept on her hands. It just needs to be better molded. I will definitely be willing to give the sequel a try, but whether or not I finish it is another question entirely.