katethebookmonsters

Antigoddess
Kendare Blake
Crown of Midnight
Sarah J. Maas

Dreams of the Dead (The Waking)

Dreams of the Dead - Christopher Golden, Thomas Randall Dreams of the Dead has been sitting on my bookcase for probably over a year. Every time I looked at it, I was not sure it was going to be a book for me. It was not until I read the summary for the second book in the series that I felt the calling to dive into Dreams of the Dead's pages. The tale starts off with a haunting beginning: "Akane Murakami died for a boy she did not love." From there, I was hooked. Dreams of the Dead's main selling point is its focus on Japanese history. Having studied Japanese language and history in college plus having a very healthy love of manga / anime, I was completely at home in this novel. Randall beautifully describes not only the scenery but also everything about the Japanese culture. Throughout the whole novel, I felt like I was right there beside Kara, taking everything in as she did.Truth be told, I loved this book. Didn't think that I would.. but I absolutely did. From the very first page, I could not put it down. And when I found that I absolutely had to, my brain kept going back to it. Wondering what would happen to Kara and her friends next. Wondering what was it that was lurking in the shadows. Now, this book may not be for everyone. But for those that love a great spooky story or Japanese culture, this book will have glued to its pages to the very end. And craving more. I know I am!