katethebookmonsters

Kendare Blake
Crown of Midnight
Sarah J. Maas

In a Heartbeat

In a Heartbeat - Loretta Ellsworth In a Heartbeat is a touching look at the sacrifices that one teen can make for the benefit of another. The story is told alternatively by two teens: Eagan and Amelia. Eagan is a star athlete. A figure skater with one eye on the prize and the other on a normal life. Amelia wishes that she could be normal. Instead, she has a failing heart which makes her sickly and frail. Through a tragic accident, Amelia is able to acquire a new heart... Eagan's heart. Told in an honest and straight forward fashion, In a Heartbeat is a magical glimpse at the true meaning of sacrifice, love, and the power of life after death.Honestly, going into this novel, I thought this was going to be a somber read. I imaged feeling down after reading this novel. However, In a Heartbeat was not what I thought it was going to be. It is a novel about death, but it also explores life. Ellsworth shines in creating a novel that makes the reader think as well as appreciate what they have. She has created two shining characters that make me proud to say that I am an organ donor. This is a moving novel that really gets to the heart (no pun intended) of what a gift life is.The story is told through Amelia (in the here and now) and Eagan (in the afterlife). Both characters are full of quirks that make them easily separable, but deep down they share a common bond... the heart. This gift binds their future together in a way that neither had ever imagined. While the novel is rather short, it is full of emotion and depth. Ellsworth's message stays with you in the hours following the completion of the read, and really makes you think. For me, that makes this a wonderful novel. It is heartwarming and very touching. In my opinion, this was an A+ novel. I loved every minute of this novel. Ellsworth is an exceptional author, and I expect she has a bright future ahead of her.