katethebookmonsters

Kendare Blake
Crown of Midnight
Sarah J. Maas

A Long, Long Sleep

A Long, Long Sleep - Anna Sheehan First Impression: Dystopian and fairy tale elements? Yes, please. I was instantly drawn to A Long, Long Sleep for the promise of something (hopefully) different in the crowded dystopian genre.While Reading:A Long, Long Sleep on the outside looks like it is a dystopian version of Sleeping Beauty. And yes, there are those fairy tale-esque moments, but that is not all there is to it. And I, for one, could not have been happier.Unlike most dystopians, A Long, Long Sleep does not focus much on the technology... the society. Everything centers more on Rose and her experience. A young girl that had everything in her life taken away from her while in statis. Her family. Her place in the world. All of it... gone. Yet, replaced by a world that is oddly similar. If only Rose can figure out how her puzzle piece fits into the new picture.Initally, I was drawn to A Long, Long Sleep for the fairy tale element. With all the dystopians available now, I am always on the look out for something different, as I am sure most readers are. A Long, Long Sleep seemed to promise that. But it upheld its promise in a different way. A Long, Long Sleep was a very emotional book for me. Rose was not exactly a character that I connected with, yet I found myself loving her anyway. I found that I wanted her to be happy. To find her place in this new world.Verdict:Parts predictable, parts completely surprising, A Long, Long Sleep is a dystopian read that has earned a special place in my heart. Sheehan does not put a happy little bow on the ending, and for that I thank her. It is hard exactly to put into words how touching this book was. But regardless, A Long, Long Sleep is a book that you will have a hard time forgetting.