katethebookmonsters

Kendare Blake
Crown of Midnight
Sarah J. Maas

Die for Me

Die for Me - Life for Kate and her sister, Georgia, in the States has become unbearable after the death of their parent in a tragic car accident. Wanting to put their past behind them, they decide to move to Paris to live with their grandparents. In the City of Lights, anything can and will happen. Die for Me had a lot of ups and downs. When it was up, I could not put the book down. When it went down, I struggled in not throwing the book across the room. The book centers on Kate and the somewhat mysterious Vincent. After an incident in which Kate has a near death experience, her life quickly becomes interwoven with his... and the romance follows shortly after. Die for Me, as a whole, was pretty fabulous. Plum's creativity for the Revenants was awe inspiring. Yes, I know it is a part of folklore. But still, it was the first book that I have read about them so I was pretty impressed. For those of you who have not heard of the Revenants. They are simply a mix of this. A sprinkle of that. And I ate up every detail, every description. The same can be said for Kate, Vincent, and the rag-tag group of secondary characters. However, despite how much I loved all of this, in the back of my mind, I just could not shake the Twilightesque feeling that Die for Me gives off. The constant compassion of Revenants to Vampires. (Which to be fair, I can forgive a little. There is somewhat of a similarity there.) The personality resemblance of certain characters. Even the dialogue in certain instances felt too familiar for comfort. Making the whole situation just a bit much. Die for Me, while having some flaws, was an exceptional read. Plum's concept is refreshing and kept my attention. I only wish that Plum had given more emphasis to what the Revenants were rather than what they were not. I believe that if the constant comparison between Revenants and Vampires had been left out, then I probably would have not felt the novel to be so Twilightesque. And probably would have enjoyed my Die for Me experience a lot more.