katethebookmonsters

Kendare Blake
Crown of Midnight
Sarah J. Maas

Opposite of Amber

The Opposite of Amber - Gillian Philip In thinking back about The Opposite of Amber, the phrase "don't judge a book by its cover" instantly comes to mind. Don't let this cover fool you.The Opposite of Amber was nothing like I thought it would be. This novel is not a happy-go-lucky novel. It is a dark, thrilling read that surprised me with its depth. Even now, days after reading it, I feel like a lot of me is still trying to digest Philip's message.Going into this novel, I was looking for a fast-paced thriller. And I got some of that. But Philip and her prose completely deserve more than being declared a fast-paced read. Because, in all honesty, this is not a fast read. It literally took me days to finish it. And that is not a bad thing. Philip has created a very character driven novel which focus more on understanding the characters, the situation, and their feelings than a quick slasherish read with little substance. And substance is definitely a department that The Opposite of Amber is lacking in.The Opposite of Amber is a novel that deserves to be savored. If you are like me, it may take you a little while to get into the novel.. to like the characters. But once you hit that stride, The Opposite of Amber will become a novel that will be hard to put down.