katethebookmonsters

Kendare Blake
Crown of Midnight
Sarah J. Maas

Ruby Red

Ruby Red - Kerstin Gier Ruby Red was fantastic. And going out on a limb here, probably one of my favorite reads of 2011 (thus far).Ruby Red is quite different than most time traveling books that I have read recently. Gwyneth, our main character, comes from family with a special gene that allows a person to travel. Of course, with great privilege comes great responsibility. A responsibility that Gwyneth just isn't ready to handle, which only adds to her likability. I bonded pretty quickly to Gwyneth. While her prestigious family dotes on the equally perfect Charlotte, our main character is pretty much pushed under the rug. Gwyneth has her quirks and they make her stand out from most of the female leads that I have interacted with recently.As for our main character's love interest Gideon... the verdict is still out on him. Part of me liked him or at least wanted to. The other wanted him as far away from Gwyneth as possible. As Gwyneth and Gideon are thrust together as partners. Gideon having years of experience with Charlotte does not know how to handle the Gwyneth situation. Does he go with the flow and accept her as the new partner? Or just ignore her and see what happens? I guess it all boils down to me liking them as partners, but everything was so rushed into. One second Gideon cannot stand the sight of Gwyneth... the next, he is very close to the 'I would lay down my life for yours' kind of talk. I would have been happier if there had been more chemistry from the pair before the romance just happening as it did. It completely caught me by surprise.I won't lie. There are a lot of people in Ruby Red. Family members... extended family... and so on. Gier does a pretty nice job of adding little bit and pieces of information at the beginning of the chapters to help the reader along. This is a time travel novel after all, so I knew that could happen especially with little plot threads all over time. Funny enough, I actually got out a notepad to help me keep everything together, but at times I still got lost.From what I can see, Ruby Red is just the beginning. The ending, while satisfying, made me want the second book as soon as I finished the last page. If you are in the mood for something different, I suggest giving Ruby Red a try. I am pretty sure you will fall in love with it, just as I did.