katethebookmonsters

Antigoddess
Kendare Blake
Crown of Midnight
Sarah J. Maas

Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1)

Switched - Amanda Hocking First Impression:'When Wendy Everly was six years old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her.' If a line like that doesn't capture your attention, I don't know what will. Despite all the buzz surrounding, this author and this series, that line alone would have made me read this book.While Reading:Now, take a second and forget everything you thought you knew about Trolls. They are not strange creatures who hang out under bridges awaiting someone to cross. Instead, they look no different from you and me. So, what is it that makes these creatures different? Their powers. Their connection with nature. And their children are changelings. Children who are switched at birth with human children, only to return to their "real" families once they come of age.Switched begins with a bang! Unlike most children, Wendy grew up knowing that her "mom" did not exactly care for her. And that is putting it mildly. Wendy's birthday scene was probably one of the most striking that I have read in a while. Although, Wendy was not described as an easy child, it was crazy reading about her "mom" and the lengths that woman went through.After that point in the book, things started going downhill for me. Switched was not as exciting as I hoped it would be. I loved that Hocking took a creature like the troll (or Trylle) and shaped it into something new. But why a troll? Why not some other type of nature paranormal creature? There was nothing in Switched that made me go, 'oh, wow! I will never look at Trolls the same way again." Switched felt like it had all the pieces, but the overall puzzle did not come together the way that I thought it could have.Verdict:I am very conflicted about Switched. There is a part of me that really appreciates the differentness of it. While part of me, wants to scream at the lack of excitement throughout the book. And, please, do not get me started on the supposed love triangle or love square... I am not even sure at this point... but regardless, I am just leaving that one alone for now. Despite plenty of conflicting emotions, there was a lot that I did enjoy about Switched. Enough so that after finishing the last page, I was cursing myself for leaving book two at home.