katethebookmonsters

Kendare Blake
Crown of Midnight
Sarah J. Maas

Whisper

Whisper - Phoebe Kitanidis Whisper is an outstanding debut novel that I did not want to put down. Kitanidis draws the reader in with the promise if the paranormal, and leaves them with so much more.This is an engaging and engrossing reader that leaves the reader continuously guessing at what is going to happen next. The paranormal aspect blends flawlessly with the normal, everyday life making me wonder if it is possible for there to be families out there like Joy's. The family interactions are part of what makes this novel so fabulous. It is realistic and heartwarming to read about these girls having to overcome so much just to be kinda like everyone else.One special element for me as a reader was the character growth. Joy tries so hard to please everyone around her. And even goes so far as using her gift to ensure everyone's happiness. As her powers evolve, Joy begins to question her views on everything she thought she understood... her friends, her family, and even her thoughts on the Whispers. By the end of the novel, the reader is presented almost with a new Joy. Her eyes have been opened to the "real" world around her. And thankfully, her character is better for it.What is interesting about this novel is that its main focus seems to be more on the family unit instead of the paranormal or even romantic aspects. Kitanidis tackles some tough family issues with a twist. In the end, the reader is left with a very positive message reading the importance of the family unit and the unconditional love that it generally represents.While the reader is given full details regarding the Whisperers family, there is another family present that does not receive this equal treatment. Joy's love interest, Jamie, is from a family of Waves, and in his case, his paranormal gift is the ability to sense what other's are feeling. It is interesting to note that the reader is introduced to this other paranormal type, yet not much is really reveiled about them. By the end of the novel, I was left with tons more questions than answers regarding Jamie and his family. Since the ending does leave some possibility for a sequel, I can only hope that Kitanidis has a sequel or companion novel up her sleeve that will address these lingering questions.