katethebookmonsters

Kendare Blake
Crown of Midnight
Sarah J. Maas

Deception (Haunting Emma)

Deception - Lee Nichols Even days after reading Deception, it is hard to put into words the feelings that I have towards this remarkable novel. When I picked up Deception, I was not too sure what I was getting myself into. But what I definitely was not expecting was how much this novel would draw me in.Nichols deserves high praise for Deception for a number of reasons. First of all, she includes translations with her usages of foreign language. Now this may not seem like a big deal to many of you, but for me, this alone put Deception in my good graces. I love, love, love when author's include either translations or some other type of clues that allow the reader to easily follow along with whatever may be occurring. Nichols not only includes the translations, but she makes the language usage have a connection with the plot itself, so in a way she gets double brownie points from me.Deception, additionally, blew me away with its characters and plot. I loved that nothing felt rushed about the novel. Every aspect is given plenty of time to develop and blend with the other elements giving the novel a very complete feeling. By the end of the novel, I felt like I knew these characters... how they thought, the way their minds worked, and their personalities.The only issue I really had with the novel was the romance aspect. Emma begins the novel in love with a fringe character... suddenly Bennett shows up and she has been in love with him all along. Personally, I did not have an issue with the romance between Emma and Bennett... my issue is just with how the relationship is introduced to the reader. It just transitioned weird for me.Deception is an amazing start to what I hope will be an outstanding series. Nichols writing and her characters have me completely smitten with this novel and I cannot wait to see what happens next.