katethebookmonsters

Kendare Blake
Crown of Midnight
Sarah J. Maas

Vanish (Firelight Series)

Vanish: A Firelight Novel - Sophie Jordan First Impression:Loved, LOVED Firelight, the first book of the series. Literally stayed up much later than I should have to finish it. Having it end on some what of a cliffhanger, I had to read Vanish ASAP.While Reading:While Firelight was about discovery, Vanish tended to focus on going deeper. Deeper into the romance. Deeper into the draki lore and lifestyle. And I could not have been happier.Jacinda, having to deal with the consequences of Firelight, is not exactly the same girl we first met. Her place in the village is all but gone. No longer is she the fire breather, the rarity. Instead of admiration, Jacinda constantly faces uncertainty. They watch her as if they are awaiting the next failure, so to speak. Unable to deal with this new development, she does what she can to fit in. But is it too late? Has her time in the outside world changed her too much?Vanish was not exactly the sequel I was hoping it would be. Jacinda is a little too different. Almost submissive in place of the feisty Jacinda I first met. Tamra, her twin, also plays a larger role due to coming into her own draki. Was I surprised by the Tamra development? No. Did I like it? Kinda. Tamra has never been a favorite character of mine. But that is mainly due to how she is presented. A sullen girl always on the outside, trying to be inside. Is that her fault? No, and I have a hard time faulting her for the attitude issue. But something about her character always rubs me the wrong way. Towards the ending of Vanish, I started to see a change in her. One that I hope will continue.As with Firelight, Vanish puts a heavy emphasis on the romance. The prior book with Will. The current adding in more of a triangle between Jacinda, Will, and Cassian. While I really enjoyed the romance in Firelight, Vanish seemed a little off. Will is absent a good portion of the novel. Cassian makes moves, but never really opens up like I hoped. At this point, I really do not have a favorite. Will went down in my opinion a few pegs for his actions. Cassian would rise only to fall. With at least one remaining novel, there is a lot left that can and will happen, so right now, I am on the fence.Verdict:Vanish was not exactly the sequel that I was hoping for. However, it was still a lot of fun to read. Jordan explores more of the draki lore, for which I am thankful. There is still plenty more to discover. Leaving me now to wait for the next book.