katethebookmonsters

Kendare Blake
Crown of Midnight
Sarah J. Maas

Struck

Struck - Jennifer Bosworth First Impression:Girl with an addiction to lightning? Her city has fallen apart and she may be part of its only hope? Wow. My mind is going crazy with all the possibilities. Struck, you have a lot to live up to.While Reading:Mia Price is a lightning addict. Not exactly sure how she got the first hit. But once she did, she was hooked. Although, she does exactly look for the fix... lightning has a way of finding her. When Los Angeles is virtually destroyed by an unprecedented earthquake, the city and its people must find a way to survive. From the ashes, two opposing cult-like groups arise. And they both want Mia. But which group will she choose? And will she make the right choice in time?Struck starts off with one heck of a premise. A lightning addict? Really? All I could think as I started Struck was this premise really had some potential. Sure, there are some really heavy books on out there that deal with addictions. But an elemental addiction was something completely new for me.While the premise has incredible originality, Struck is not without its fair share of flaws. The world itself left me with probably more questions than answers. Los Angeles is falling apart. The world is coming to an end. But yet, I, as the reader, am given no clues, no hints as to what the world is like outside of this city. Logically speaking, in a natural disaster, aid comes in all forms from around the country, at least. Yet, Struck makes not a single reference to anything outside of the city. Maybe I missed something, but that just felt odd and a bit unrealistic.Mia was a really interesting character. But some of the major details regarding her character is a bit fuzzy around the edges. It felt like instead of the reader starting at the beginning and working their way up with her and her past, we are instead starting at the middle... and might get a look at the very beginning if we are very lucky. Verdict: Completely original. Great characters. Plenty of twists to keep you on the edge of your seat. And truthfully, the issues that I did have with Struck were very minor overall. These small instances just rolled off me of me like they were nothing. Struck is a book that doesn't come around often.