katethebookmonsters

Kendare Blake
Crown of Midnight
Sarah J. Maas

Possession

Possession  - Elana Johnson Violet (Vi) lives in a world where you are either good or bad in the eyes of the society. The Goods are separate from each other. They do as they are told, do not ask questions. This allows them to live comfortably in a society full of technological advances. The Bads live in a society which almost mirrors our current society. They live for the here and now. Vi stands at the divide. She is neither a Good or Bad. Basically, all she wants is freedom. To do what she wants, with whom ever she wants. As a whole, I liked Vi. She was sassy with a little innocence thrown in. She can take the lead or just stand in the background. But I hated her insecurities. One second she is strong and the next, completely unsure of herself. And the sad part is, this goes on for the whole novel. Towards the middle of the book, I found myself yelling at her to just pick a personality already. Just when I thought Vi's personality was a problem, the romance got thrown in. Zenn or Jag. Possession tended to revolve around this whole idea. Who is the right "man" for Vi? If I had to pick right now, my vote is for Zenn. Although, there is a lot I do not know yet about him. There is something about him that has my interest piqued. It is clear from reading Possession that Johnson had a vision for Vi's society when she wrote it. As I read it, I got the feeling that she attempted to put this vision in the novel, but hit a snag somewhere in the process. It is almost like looking at something far away that looks one way, then getting up close and the image changes. This is how the society felt. At a distance, the society made sense. I understood who stood for what. How x and y worked. As the novel progressed, everything almost became blurred. I went from feeling almost a complete understanding to not sure if I ever understood it. Don't get me wrong. Do I think that Possession had its problems? Absolutely (including some very choppy changing POV dream sequences). However, I think that every first book in a series has some. But none of them were big enough that I ever thought about putting the book down. In all honesty, the conflicting feelings probably made me want to read it more. Johnson created a dystopian read that made me think. And from the society to an almost paranormal twist, this book had me on the edge of my seat. Not to mention a certain twist of an ending that completely had me floored.